- The primary goal of IT is to align with major enterprise objectives. Every initiative must be clearly tied in a provable way to business value.
- Because all major business initiatives are dependent upon technology, the CIO must have a voice at the table at which key business decisions are made.
- The CIO is responsible for understanding a business’s complexities, influencing peers and presenting technology strategy in terms the business can understand.
- Technology leaders are agents of change. Transition is our stable state.
- Communication and relationship building are as important to IT leadership as technology skills are.
- Successful technology leadership must strike a balance between competing forces: short-term versus long-term, technology versus business focus, leading versus enabling.
- The CIO is responsible for cultivating technology leadership at all levels.
@CIOonline Seven Keys to IT Leadership / IT Value Matrix
CIO executive council developed "Seven Keys to IT Leadership"